After a three-year construction period, the Emil Schumacher Museum opened on August 28, 2009 in Hagen. The Emil Schumacher Museum and the newly renovated Osthaus Museum form the „Kunstquartier Hagen“, a new museum center in the Ruhr region. In two entirely different museums, the visitor experiences a broad spectrum of art works ranging from figurative to abstract.
The newly constructed Emil Schumacher Museum exhibits one of the most reknowned representatives of Abstract Expressionist painting. The collection consists of over 500 originals from all creative periods of Emil Schumacher, made available by the Schumacher Foundation and the City of Hagen. Presentations of expressionist painting from 1945 to the present complement the program.
The completely renovated and expanded Osthaus Museum offers an intensive encounter with artistic forms of expression from the Modern Classics – particularly with major works of German Expressionism – to contemporary art positions. The newly founded „Young Museum“ experiments with new approaches to art for people of every age and background.
Not only a new museum center has evolved in the city center of Hagen. Considering the immediate surroundings, the development of four distinct architectural styles in closest proximity can be studied by our visitors. These styles are:
- Late Classical – The Old Regional Court („Alte Landgericht") from 1865/66
- Neogothic – the Catholic Church of St. Marien (1892-1895)
- Neo-Renaissance – the Osthaus Museum, built from 1898-1900
- Contemporary – Emil Schumacher Museum including it's administrative building (2007-2009).
The architectural firm Lindemann from Mannheim, after winning the europe-wide competition for the construction of the Emil Schumacher Museum, succeeded in placing the histocial buildings in context with the new museum construction as well as in annexing the ensemble to the city center area.
Apart from the two museums, the newly constructed administrative building of the Emil Schumacher Foundation, with its offices and archive, belongs to the new ensemble of the museum plaza. The bistro/cafe Novy’s is located at the east side of the three-story cube.
The plaza offers space for outdoor events as well as room for attractive outdoor dining in an exclusive surrounding, available to all visitors during the summer months independent of museum hours.
Linked architecturally by their common foyer, the two museums aim for an integrative museum concept. The museum center has a double intention. It aims to present to a broad public both the Karl Ernst Osthaus collection (generated from the Folkwang Idea) and the continued art tradition of Hagen, evident in the works of Emil Schumacher. And by doing so, to re-position Hagen back into the first row of European art centers.
More about Osthaus Museum Hagen
More about Emil Schumacher Museum
Tuesday to Sunday from 11 am to 6 pm.
The Kunstquartier Hagen is closed on December 24, 25, and 31; January 1 and May 1.
T. +49 2331 207 3138
Both museums are wheelchair accessible.